Fried Mac & Cheese Balls
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pack of already prepared Kraft Mac and Cheese (follow directions on box)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour and stir vigorously until the mixture is bubbling.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then slowly whisk in the milk until it is fully incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Return the pan to a medium-low heat stove and use a silicone spatula to continuously scrape the bottom of the pan to keep the sauce from burning. When the sauce is thick and bubbly, remove the pan from the heat and add the Mac & Cheese.
- Stir to combine, then taste for salt and adjust as needed. Cool to room temperature; place the mixture into the fridge to harden.
- Once the macaroni mixture has cooled, it will be very firm. Use a spoon to scoop out a 1 1/2″ ball, then roll it between your hands to make it round, pressing down a bit to remove any air pockets. You should be able to make about 12 balls.
- Add about 2 inches of oil into a heavy bottomed pot. Turn the heat onto medium high, and watch for the temperature to reach about 320 degrees F.
- In the mean time, get 3 shallow bowls out, and put the flour in one, the egg in another and the bread crumbs in the third.
- Roll each ball in the flour to coat evenly, and then in the egg (make sure it’s well coated with egg or the bread crumbs won’t stick).
- Lastly, drop the balls in the bread crumbs and roll around to coat evenly.
- Fry each ball, rolling them around so they brown evenly until they are golden brown and crisp. Let them cool for a minute before serving. Enjoy!