CHOCOLATE HOT CROSS BUNS
Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder (we used local, sun eaters)
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups flour
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp yeast
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup nibs
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate (we used 70% local dark)
- Cream butter and sugar until butter is light in colour and then beat eggs in one at a time.
- Add in cocoa powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Measure all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix (add yeast away from salt or mix salt into dry ingredients first before adding yeast since salt will kill the yeast)
- Add dry and wet ingredients into the creamed butter mixture, starting with the flour and alternating between the two.
- The mixture will form a soft dough that is still a little sticky, cover the dough and leave to proof until it has doubled in size.
- When it has doubled add in the nibs and chocolate (we chose these mix in but you can use whatever you would like!)
- Leave the dough to proof again for 15 minutes before using.
- Portion the dough into 100g pieces and roll into balls. place them in a greased pan and cover them, allowing them to proof until almost doubled.
- Brush with egg wash or milk wash and bake at 400 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes.
- remove from the heat and allow to cool before filling etc.
Orange Mint Pastry Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup sugar (divided into two parts)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp butter
- one orange zested or some orange peels
- one spring of mint
- Place milk in a pot to boil with orange, mint and half the sugar (watch this carefully since it can easily over boil)
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, sugar, cornstarch, whisk together until it forms a smooth paste.
- When the milk reaches a boil, slowly temper into the egg mixture. Add the mixture back to the pot and return it to the stove on very low heat
- Stir the mixture constantly until thickened.
- add in vanilla and butter.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film, ensure the film is touching the pastry cream on all exposed areas to prevent the cream from forming a skin.
- Cool completely before using
Chocolate icing for the cross
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- hot water
- Mix the dry ingredient into a bowl.
- Add in a little hot water at a time (maybe use a teaspoon to avoid over pouring)
- Mix together until a thick paste is made.
- Transfer to a piping bag and use to pipe crosses onto the buns, this mixture is best used when it is still warm.
Follow along with the video recipe here